Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Chemo-moaning session

It seems that I had it easy first time round on Chemotherapy.  I was given a dosage of a single drug over a period of 5 days - it was a pain to have to carry the pump around, I got some mouth sores and a little nauseous, and I was permanently tired, but that was the extent of the side effects.

This time's a bit different.  I have a 2-hour infusion session on a Monday where they pump me with 3 different drugs in one sitting, then I have to carry a pump for 2 days to finish me off.  They warned me loud and clear about what side-effects were going to come, and boy have they come.




One of the drugs I am taking is called Oxaliplatin, and seems to be responsible for much of what is described below.

Difficulty swallowing and shortness of breath.  The infusion nurse warned me that I may get a feeling like I'm being strangled.  This hasn't happened yet.  What has happened is that when I try to eat, I get a sort of burning sensation in the back of the throat, as if my body is wanting to reject what I am trying to feed it.  It goes away after the first couple of mouthfuls, but if you take a break of even a few minutes, the sensation comes back! 

Cold foods and drinks are absolutely out - even tap water is verging on too much.  When you put something cold in your mouth, there is this sharp rising pain.

Cold sensitivity.  Doesn't sound like a biggie, especially in California, right?  But I walked outside to get the mail last night - it was very gently drizzling and a little on the cool side.  My hands felt like they were being stabbed! I've never felt anything like it! Later in the evening, the loo overflowed and I tried to clear it up with some old towels.  During the process, I stepped on a wet towel in my socks and suddenly had the most shockingly cold sensation, which would not go away for about 15 minutes!  It's remarkably debilitating and not a great deal of fun!

Of course, being forewarned is very handy, but I really wasn't prepared for the full reality until I have started to experience it!



On top of all this, I am still lethargic and slow - can't really do any heavy lifting.  I've driven to the store and back, which went OK, but I did have to sit down for an hour afterwards.  I really don't feel ready to face work again - I think the drive there would pretty much wipe me out!



Sorry for the whinge, but it's been a bit of a shock to see how much this is effecting me this time around,  hopefully it will ease over time.  Next appointment is Wednesday to get the pump removed, then I have nearly 2 weeks with nothing until my next infusion session! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Chris! I've seen the effects of chemo on my sister and you are nuts to even consider driving. Stay home and recover because your body is not healthy and getting bombarded by chemo. The sessions will eventually come to an end so you can truly recover from it. Take care ... enjoy the baseball games when they start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're allowed an occasional moaning session - you've been so strong throughout! I'm glad you've been forewarned so you have at least some reference for these odd sensations and events. My hope is for an easing of chemo effects and restoration of your strength... Sending love to you all.

    ReplyDelete