Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A Day without Drugs!!!

So yesterday was the first day since all this stuff began that I know for a fact I had no pain killers, no opiates, no nothing!  I guess that's a milestone.

Since the second Chemo session last Monday, I'd been suffering side effects even worse than after the first one, which is concerning.  The neuropathy, cold sensitivity, nausea and general lethargy were all worse this time around.  After some strong encouragement from Jean, various friends with experience and my nurse in the Infusion unit, I caved in and registered as a medical marijuana user.  


I was never a drug user as a youth, and probably only tried smoking weed a couple of times (while drunk, and with very bad results), and I have always been wary of the stuff. Also, as a former smoker, I don't want to get back into that habit!  However, I've been convinced that it is at least worth giving it a go. 

So I went along to Compassionate Health Options down behind the Russian River Brewery pub and talked to a very nice former ER Doctor from London who explained all the options - told me that there are ways of taking the stuff which don't involve smoking and do not give you the high that other versions do and gave me a certificate to say that my condition qualifies me to get a hold of whatever I need.  He also offered to buy me a pint over the road when all this is over with!!

Then it was off to Peace in Medicine which dispenses the stuff.  It's run very professionally and the people there were very understanding to a naive neophyte.  I came home with a "vape pen" and some strawberry flavoured lozenges.

The vape pen gives the most instant results.  I woke on Saturday feeling nauseous and (after dropping Finn off at his rehearsal) I took a couple of puffs and felt a lot better right away.

Saturday night we had been invited by our friend Keith and his charming mother to a meal at Scoma's restaurant down in Sausalito.  At a couple of points on the way down, I did think I was going to have to turn around and go home, but again a couple of puffs seemed to calm down the nausea and the discomfort I was feeling, and always do lately when travelling in a car.

I'm so glad we went - it was a lovely relaxed evening, with fun conversation and wonderful seafood.  It was the first time I had left Sonoma County for non-medical reasons in about 6 months.

My main concern was dealing with the Ostomy bag in public.  Fortunately, the loos were large and clean and private and, while I did have to make three trips there, they all went smoothly with no embarrassment caused.

Sunday, I tried half a lozenge.  It took a little longer, but it had similar effectiveness in killing off the nausea and discomfort.

Monday morning, I felt no nausea or pain and decided to take the day as it came. I was able to put in a couple of hours work (from home), and felt like I actually achieved something.  Then spent the afternoon watching the Giants' Home opener on TV.

I'm hoping that after Infusion Session number three - next Monday - the vape pen and lozenges will really come into their own in helping with the side effects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment