Sunday, March 12, 2017

Still moving very slowly!

I've been home for nearly 2 weeks now and am getting back to normal.  Still have pain from the incisions and am still learning to deal with "the bag".

Good appointment with Dr Akhtar, my oncologist.  He told me that the pre-Xmas treatment had shrunk the tumour down to less than a centimeter and that the operation had removed all trace of disease.  We now embark on another round of Chemo to get rid of the untraceable remains!  This is scheduled to begin on March 20th.  There will be 8 fortnightly treatments and I will have to carry a pump around for 2 days after each one.  


He said that later on in the treatment, delaying a session by a week or so would not be a problem, so it looks like a UK trip might be possible - Yay!
 
Also visited another Ostomy nurse down in San Rafael, who was very encouraging and kind. She reckoned that my stoma should stay pretty constant at 1 and 1/8th inch, so has ordered me new bags that I will not have to cut to size, which will be nice!

I had to renew my Oxycodone prescription because the pain is not contained by Acetaminaphen alone, but I am trying to stretch out the time between taking them and hopefully will wean myself off pretty soon.

Today's Sunday, so that means next week is another round of appointments - Dr Alkoraishi down in SF on Tuesday and to the Santa Rosa hospital on Thursday to have a port installed in my chest to facilitate the chemo - it's a bit more simple to manage than the picc line, which would have been the alternative.  Because I seem to react to the dressings they use with the Picc, I hope that I'm going to be better off with the port, even though the installation is a more complicated procedure.


No comments:

Post a Comment