Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Ostomy care

I never imagined having to deal with an ostomy, and am aware and grateful that it is a temporary thing for me.

Today,  my instructor,  Ruth from Petaluma,  wanted me  to  change the bag unaided and showed up at my room at 9:45. I went to the toilet to prepare myself and re-emerged to find that there was a member of the surgery team there,  too,  wanting to remove the last drain from my side (the catheter had been pulled in the middle of the night).

The process of replacing the bag is  a bit like a craft project,  you have to measure the circumference of your stoma and then cut a hole in the entrance of the bag to fit exactly,  then quickly put it in place and seal it. I was leaking because breakfast had passed through me quicker than expected,  so also had to try to keep the stoma clean and dry before putting the  new bag in place.

So I'm doing all this and trying to remember all the steps and the right order for them,  when the surgical assistant decided that this was the ideal time to remove the draining tube. To  say it was stressful would be an understatement -  dealing  with all  the yuckiness of the stoma and bag would have been quite enough,  thank you!

Anyway,  everything got done and I am now free of all unneeded attachments.  I also have my meds to take home and am basically free to go.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment